Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is one of the best apple recipe's I have ever tasted. My boyfriend absolutely adores these...and he HATES apples! I found this recipe in a cook book that I found lying around the house..but I changed it a bit to be even MORE delicious! Enjoy :) P.S!! I use a bit more apple than 1/2 cup and make sure to take off the skin before adding it in.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped apple
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 farenheit.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into a bowl.
- Melt butter in a medium size sauce pan over moderate heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat in sugars, egg and vanilla with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Stir in flour mixture, apple and walnuts (OR almonds)until thoroughly combined.
- Spread into a greased 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan.
- Sprinkle on the teaspoon of cinnamon and the teaspoon of white sugar.
- Put in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.
- While the apple square is in the oven mix the brown sugar, margarine and the half and half in a small pot over low heat.
- When it is completely melted and mixed together, pour onto the square and let it completely cool.
- Cut in to squares and store in an air tight container.
These turned out really yummy. They're extremely rich, though, so some ice cream on top would be a nice addition. We could only eat a tiny helping at a time because it was so sweet and rich. That made them last a long time!