Recipe by goodies
This recipe is one of the best apple recipe's I have ever tasted. My boyfriend absolutely adores these...and he HATES apples! I found this recipe in a cook book that I found lying around the house..but I changed it a bit to be even MORE delicious! Enjoy :) P.S!! I use a bit more apple than 1/2 cup and make sure to take off the skin before adding it in.
Top Review by Ericadawn
These turned out really yummy. They're extremely rich, though, so some ice cream on top would be a nice addition. We could only eat a tiny helping at a time because it was so sweet and rich. That made them last a long time!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped apple
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 farenheit.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into a bowl.
- Melt butter in a medium size sauce pan over moderate heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat in sugars, egg and vanilla with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Stir in flour mixture, apple and walnuts (OR almonds)until thoroughly combined.
- Spread into a greased 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan.
- Sprinkle on the teaspoon of cinnamon and the teaspoon of white sugar.
- Put in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.
- While the apple square is in the oven mix the brown sugar, margarine and the half and half in a small pot over low heat.
- When it is completely melted and mixed together, pour onto the square and let it completely cool.
- Cut in to squares and store in an air tight container.