Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from Super Food Ideas and the DH asked me to save to here to give it a try to see if he would like. The recipe called for a 425 gram can of apples but the DH has asked me to make it with Granny Smith apples so will allow for 4 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced. Preparation time does not include cooling time. Serving size will depend upon on how many pieces you with to eat at one serve, would also be a good lunch box treat. I made this yesterday and had some issues with, I used freshly sliced apples which had a total weight of 470 grams but found there was not enough mix of the dough and had to make a half portion so I would have enough to adequately cover the top of the slice, I have changed the recipe to reflect this and even after doing that it was difficult to spread it over the fresh apples but the DH was pleased with the result so have changed the recipe to reflect how I made it, though he decided to cut it into 10 pieces, instead of the 20 recommended by Super Food Ideas.
- 3 granny smith apples (sliced total weight 470g)
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar (extra)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (extra)
- 275 g butter (softened)
- 3⁄8 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- double cream (to serve optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced.
- Grease an 18cm x 28cm slice pan.
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- Mix together extra sugar and cinnamon and toss through the sliced apples.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy and then add eggs, 1 at time, beating well after each addition and then stir in flour, cinnamon and mixed spice.
- Press half the dough over the base of prepared pan and then top evenly with the apples.
- Spoon remaining dough over apple layer, then carefully spread with the back of a spoon or with fingers to cover evenly.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden and firm.
- Cool in pan, cut into squares and serve with double cream if desired.