Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have been making this recipe for the past 20 years and I have not had a bad one yet. It always comes out moist and tasty. If you can't get hold of cooking apples use ordinary eaters and just hold back a little bit of sugar. As with all apple cakes there is a fair bit of preparation so I always double the ingredients and make two at a time. I always mean to freeze one for later (it freezes perfectly) but nearly always end up eating them both. It is perfect hot or cold, alone or with custard. Enjoy!
- 150 g self raising flour
- 75 g butter
- 75 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large cooking apple
- 1 egg
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- Warm oven gas 5 or 190°C.
- Prepare a sandwich tin with butter and flour.
- Place grease proof paper in the bottom for ease of removal.
- Sieve flour then rub in butter.
- Stir in sugar and cinnamon.
- Peel, core and dice the apple.
- Add to bowl and stir.
- Add beaten egg and mix until creamy.
- Add milk if necessary.
- Place mixture in the tin and dredge with sugar.
- Bake 30-40 minutes.