Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Before I tasted this recipe, I never thought that barley could taste so good! I hope you enjoy it too.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup barley (Quick Cooking)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1 -2 tablespoon soy sauce
- In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Stir in barley, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Cook carrots, celery and garlic over medium-high heat 3-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and green onions, continue cooking 3 more minutes.
- Add cooked barley and soy sauce, mix well. Continue cooking over medium heat until heated through.
This was delicious. I used leftover barley and I didn't have green onions or carrots, so I used leeks and french green beans and it was just awesome. The whole time I kept thinking of other things that would be so good in this too! Thanks for sharing annya127, I will be making this often!
Wonderful side dish, I would even eat this cold. Chopped the mushrooms up small, not my favorites, and enjoyed the earthy flavor. Some of my veggies were thicker than others but I enjoyed the bit of crunch. Used a good handful of green onions and loved the milder flavor. This is a keeper! Thank you so much annya127 for posting this recipes. Made and reviewed for the Cooking Photo forums 5 A DAY-ARE YOU DOING IT ? Fruits & Veggies of summer July event.
Savory and filling, this is a wonderful and inexpensive dish. Not to mention easy to put together. However I used standard barley, for which you must change the amount of water to 2 cups. Great dish!