I just love this recipe! Mum used to make this for us when we were kids. It's apparently a traditional Roman dish, great for vegetarians and very easy and quick to whip up, an awesome dish with a real 'rustic' feel to it! The kids will love it! It is to be served on top of steaming, hot pasta...wholemeal pasta works quite well with this recipe too! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml fresh ricotta
- 400 g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 29.58 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml coarse ground pepper
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 8 leaf fresh basil
- 500 g package pasta (spirals work well with this recipe)
- 1Firstly, put on a large pot of salted water and bring to the boil, add pasta to water and cook until'al dente' approximately 8- 10 minutes.
- 2While pasta is on the go, finely dice your onion and crush your garlic.
- 3In a saucepan, put in the olive oil, when the oil is warm, add your garlic and onion and gently saute these until they are transparent.
- 4Add the ricotta to the pan, and stir through the onions and garlic well.
- 5At this stage, add your salt and pepper, parmesan, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste.
- 6Mix well and let simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- 7Drain pasta.
- 8Turn the ricotta sauce off from the heat, add your fresh basil leaves, roughly torn, into the sauce.
- 9Dish up some pasta into a bowl, put some of the ricotta sauce on top of the pasta, and finish off with some extra shavings of parmesan if desired.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious and Simple Ricotta and Tomato Pasta Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 762.8
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 64.9 mg
- Sodium 979.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 32.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coarse ground pepper