Recipe by treehuggingmom
The delicious silky sauce and abundance of mushrooms makes a special weekday meal for my family. Based on a recipe by American Test Kitchen, altered to fit my family size and to cut a bit more fat. The lemon, nutmeg and egg yolk(!) add so much to this recipe. I served it with zucchini, carrots, and couscous as sides but plan to serve it with peas and a different grain next time.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Loved this!!!! Waited until I had mushrooms before making it, just fabulous flavours here, love the nutmeg, the smooth sauce ... really decadent. Thanks, treehuggin', this was a really good meal, definitely a keeper!!! Made for PAC Fall 2012
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken, boneless and skinless (breasts or thighs)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons parsley, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter and oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken until browned, about 4 minutes, then flip and cook until browned on second side, 4 more minutes. Transfer to large plate.
- Cook mushrooms, onion, and wine in skillet, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add flour and garlic, and stir constantly for 1 minute. Add broth and bring mixture to boil, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits.
- Add chicken and any accumulated juices to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 5-10 minutes, until instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees in breasts and 175 degrees in thighs.
- Transfer chicken to clean platter and cover loosely with inverted pie pan.
- Whisk sour cream and egg yolk in medium bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly stir ½ cup sauce into sour cream mixture. Stirring constantly, slowly pour sour cream mixture into simmering sauce. Stir in nutmeg, lemon juice, and tarragon; return to simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve.