Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I altered a recipe from an "off-brand" bran cereal box. They were so tasty - just the right amount of sweetness and crunch - and they "worked" by that night! Using buttermilk* really made them light!
- 3⁄4 cup bran flakes (crush in ziplock bag)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups bran flakes
- 1 cup buttermilk (lowfat or other)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used olive)
- 1 cup flour (wheat or white or combo)
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins (can use any dried fruit or fresh or frozen berries-drained)
- Makes 10- 12 muffins (2 1/2-inch) or 18 mini-muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare muffin tins (grease or paper-line).
- Mix"Topping" ingredients- set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat egg lightly.
- Stir in cereal, buttermilk*, and oil Let rest 5 minutes- stir to break up cereal flakes
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon Add wet cereal mix to dry ingredients all at once Stir just to combine- batter will be thick Fold in raisins (or other fruit).
- Divide evenly in muffin tins (fill to brim for extra large tops).
- Sprinkle"topping" evenly on each muffin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes (if using mini-muffins- cook 10-15 minutes).
- *1 Tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar and enough milk to equal 1 cup may be substituted- let stand 5 minutes to"curdle".
These were so good. As far as changing anythng, I just added 1 Tab. of oil and a small cup of all natural applesauce and just used Kell. raisin bran instead of bran flakes and raisins. I used less sugar all around and left out the butter on the topping just crushed the cereal with the br.sugar. I made these like brownies in a glass baking dish.Lowered the baking temp to 350. Took 18-20 mins. My 16 yr old daughter said these were the best thing I had made lately. I served mine with honey,applebutter or pumpkin butter and I will make at least once a week..5 stars wish I could give more.
Moist and delicious. I left out the raisins (personal preference), but next time I'm going to try these with dates or frozen berries. This is my new favorite bran muffin recipe - thanks!
These muffins are SO GOOD! And this is coming from a person who does not like bran muffins. I made them yesterday. The crunchy topping makes them a real treat. I used Smart Balance instead of butter. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly. I recommend these highly.