Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Modified from Texas Tapestry cookbook. Very tasty and easy to throw together - and heart-healthy to boot! Short cooking time, but I always like to let it simmer much longer!
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced,then cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth (fat-free if possible)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup picante sauce
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 -2 large leek, sliced into 1/4 inch slices (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 -2 cup water
- Combine all the vegetables, garlic, broth, tomato and picante sauces, rice and basil in a dutch oven or other large pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- If using leeks, add, along with parsley, and simmer 15 more minutes.
- Add water according to your desired consistency.
- Variation: substitute chicken broth for beef, and add a couple of diced (cooked) chicken breasts.
Lorenlou, I am so sorry, but this did not turn out like I expected. It was not to our taste. I made as directed except that I added a zuchinni, and 1 cup extra liquid. I had to use salsa because I don't get picante sauce here. There were liquid issues, the pan dried out at least three times and I had it on a slow simmer. Aside from that it was very easy to prepare. It may have been better with tinned tomatoes rather than tomato sauce.