Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy Meringue cookies or also called "suspiros" in Spanish. These are very light cookies made with egg whites and sugar. Very crunchy, airy and delicious!.
- Heat oven to 300°F
- Blend egg whites, sugar, and salt in a heatproof bowl on top of double boiler.
- Place over boiling water; be careful not to touch the bowl with the water.
- Beat with whisk, scraping bottom and side of pan occasionally, until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Transfer to stand electric mixer and beat until soft peaks form.
- Add lemon zest(i like lemon zest to cut little the sweetness) and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls onto 2 lightly greased baking sheets or use a pastry bag fitted with a star tip.
- Bake 45 to 60 minutes or until hard at touch, do not let get it brown.
- Immediately remove from baking sheet and place in cookie rack to cool.
- Place in air-tight container.