Recipe by Jen T
I first saw this made on TV in New Zealand by Chef Des Britten in 1974, and have made it on & off over the years as an easy entree or lunch dish. You can also use asparagus in season or leftover chicken or even canned salmon in place of the ham. This is a great do ahead dish as they only need to be grilled/broiled just before you want to serve them.
Top Review by Just_Ducky!!
Very nice and easy crepe filling! I didn't have any edam so used sharp cheddar and cottage cheese for the filling and thin sliced honey ham. I used Recipe #327593, Anytime Crepes from Sunny Yukon. Both boys gave it two thumbs up :). This recipe would be great for any meal, thanks for posting Jen!
- 4 -6 crepes (made from your favourite recipe)
- 4 -6 slices ham (thinly sliced)
- 12 -16 tablespoons edam cheese (or you could use colby or a mild cheddar)
- 12 -16 tablespoons additional grated cheese
- 4 -6 tablespoons heavy cream
- chopped parsley, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay crepes out flat and top each one with the thinly sliced ham.
- Top each one with 3-4 Tbsp grated cheese.
- Roll up each crepe so that they resemble a big fat cigar.
- Place in a baking dish that will hold them in one layer.
- Top each crepe with another 3-4 Tbsp grated cheese.
- Finally pour a tablespoon cream over each one.
- This can all be done in advance.
- Just before serving time, have your grill/ broiler really hot and place dish underneath until the cheese on top has melted and browned.
- Serve at once sprinkled with chopped parsley.