Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I know, I know -- you think of moose as a tough critter -- long muscular legs, beady little eyes, and with those antlers (horns we call 'em) able to handle himself in the rough and tumble. Well, let me tell ya -- they're as nice an animal as you'll ever meet --- sweet -- tender -- and downright delicate as this recipe shows (Sorry PETA =) This recipe's for Laudee -- who is still trying to figure out how I make moose strips =0
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground moose
- 1 (30 count) package saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 quart tomato sauce or 1 quart tomato juice
- Preheat oven to 375F Grease two baking sheets Mix first eight ingredients.
- Shape meat into meatballs Place meatballs on baking sheets Bake for 15 minutes in oven.
- (The cheese may ooze out a bit its no biggie) Pour sauce/juice and broth into a (crock) pot and heat Remove meatballs from baking sheet and place gently in sauce.
- Simmer until meatballs are cooked through.
- Baste the top meatballs if needed.
- (Do NOT stir or you will have moose mush . not a pretty sight!) Serve on rice, noodles or on mashed potatoes.
- Be sure to have some bread on hand to sop up the sauce.
- (I dont add salt to this recipe as the saltines, soup and sauce/juice have salt added. Personal preference.) This ones for you, Laudee.