Recipe by FoodBooksSangria
This is a tasty recipe for winter squash, yielding a smooth, delicious and healthy soup that is a rich golden color. The original recipe was posted on and is copyrighted by Chefshop.com (no affiliation with them, just a happy customer).
- 2 lbs delicata squash, cut in half, seeded, peeled & cut into large pieces
- 1 lb acorn squash, cut in half, seeded, peeled & cut into large pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter (I used olive oil)
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled & coarsely chopped, sauteed in butter (or olive oil)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled & cut into large cubes (I didn't peel)
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, & coarsely chopped (I didn't peel or seed, instead using whole tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley (I substituted about 4 tbsp. of regular curly leaf parsley)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave (I used about a tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram (I used about a tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons summer savory, leaves (optional, not part of original recipe)
- 3 tablespoons high-quality extra virgin olive oil
- 6 -8 cups chicken stock (I substituted vegetable stock)
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons hazelnut oil (I substituted "Green Gold" pumpkin seed oil, available from Chefshop.com, excellent taste & nice col)
- 6 tablespoons creme fraiche (I substituted sour cream)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large 6- to 8-quart pot, combine all ingredients except the chicken or vegetable stock, hazelnut oil & creme fraiche or sour cream. Pour enough stock over the vegetables to cover them. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Let soup cool briefly. Using food processor, blender, or Vita-Mix, puree soup in batches until smooth. Return soup to the pot, correct seasonings, and warm to serving temperature.
- Ladle soup into warm soup bowls. Drizzle each serving with a tablespoon of hazelnut or pumpkin seed oil and finish with a dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream.