Recipe by English_Rose
Delia Smith tosses a fresh and light salad with handy ingredients and contrasting textures - try varying the recipe with different meats and favourite veggies.
- 6 ounces slice streaky bacon
- 8 ounces garlic sausage, in one piece
- 4 ounces open-cup mushrooms
- 2 1⁄2 ounces Roquefort cheese
- 2 avocados
- 1 round lettuce, outer leaves removed
- 1 cos lettuce, outer leaves removed
- 2 ounces watercress, stalks removed
- 2 ounces arugula, stalks removed
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
For the dressing
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon coarse grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Before you start, preheat the grill to its highest setting and let it heat up for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all the dressing ingredients in a jug or bowl and whisk them together well, tasting to check the seasoning.
- Now place the bacon on some foil on the grill pan, and grill until it's very crisp - about 7 minutes - then remove it to drain on some kitchen paper and crumble it into small pieces.
- Next slice the garlic sausage, first into 1/4in slices, then cut the slices into 1/4in strips. After that, wipe the mushrooms and slice them fairly thinly (but not paper-thin).
- Next crumble the cheese and peel and slice the avocados.
- To serve the salad, tear up the lettuce leaves and place them in a large bowl with the watercress and arugula. Scatter in the bacon, sausage, mushrooms, cheese and avocado and mix well.
- Just before serving, add half the dressing and mix together. Add the remaining dressing and toss again so that everything gets a good coating.
- Finally, sprinkle over the scallions and serve immediately. This needs lots of good rustic bread on the table.