Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is an authentic deli-style recipe for pasta salad, it's great to take to potlucks or just to have at any time or any season. I sometimes add in some feta in place of the Parmesan cheese, I usually double up on the dressing ingredients, plan ahead this needs to chill for 8 hours or up to 24 hours --- please do not omit the salami that is what makes this salad!
- 1 (7 ounce) package tri-color spiral pasta
- 6 ounces hard salami, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, cubed
- 2 1⁄4 ounces ripe olives, sliced and drained
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar or 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste, or use a small amount of fresh minced)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons prepared mustard or 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 2 -4 teaspoons sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to directions; rinse in cold water, drain.
- Place the cooked pasta in a large bowl.
- Toss with 1-2 tbsp olive oil (to prevent pasta from sticking and drying out, this is optional).
- Add the next 9 ingredients, with the Parmesan cheese; toss to combine.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine oil, vinegar, garlic powder, mustard, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; shake well to combine.
- Add in sugar if you find that the dressing is too strong.
- Pour over the salad; toss to coat well.
- Cover, and chill for 8 or more hours, (overnight is even better).
- Toss again before serving.