1/2 Photos of Deli-Style Macaroni Salad
From Cooks Illustrated "The Best Make Ahead Recipe". The idea being that you don't end up with macaroni salad that dries out. We liked this recipe, it was very creamy and a bit tangy- good! My new favorite. I will probably try some lower fat ingredients next time to lighten it up a bit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, hard cooked, peeled and chopped coarse
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot.
- 2Stir in 2 T. salt and the pasta and cook until completely tender. Drain the macaroni in a colander, then rinse until cool.
- 3Meanwhile, combine the shallot, 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice, oil, Dijon, garlic powder, ½ t. salt and a pinch of pepper in a large bowl.
- 4Toss the rinsed pasta with the shallot mixture, then stir in the eggs, celery, pickle relish and parsley.
- 5To Store: Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate up until 3 days.
- 6To Serve: Stir in the mayonnaise, milk and remaining 2 T. lemon juice into the salad and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 7To Serve Right Away*: refrigerate pasta until well chilled, about 3 hours, before tossing with the mayo, milk and lemon juice. **I think you could probably get away without 3 hour refrigeration, but I would recommend it so the mayo taste could mellow out.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deli-Style Macaroni Salad
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.9
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 43.9 mg
- Sodium 269.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 6.7 g