Recipe by threeovens
A variation of a BBQ mainstay. A basic creamy cole slaw with the addition of dill pickles, a touch of mustard, and caraway seeds. Adapted from Cook's Country.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
Yummy slaw. I used both red and green cabbage, and followed the rest of the recipe. The pickle and caraway seeds are lovely additions, and the sugar amount was perfect for our tastes. I skipped the salting process. This would be great in a sandwich. Thanks for posting.
- 1 medium green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1⁄2 small onion, shredded on a box grater
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup kosher dill pickle, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss cabbage, onion, carrot (if using) and salt in a colander set over a bowl; let stand until wilted, about an hour.
- Rinse cabbage mixture with cold water and dry thoroughly.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, pepper, pickles, mustard and caraway seeds.
- Stir in cabbage and refrigerate until serving, at least 2 hours.
- Can be stored for 2 days.