Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Our family used to eat round steak pounded until it was very thin and tender, then chicken fried. Turkey or chicken, ham, bacon and relish are in this recipe, also mustard, mayo and brown sugar. Very simple to prepare, just follow the steps.
- 2 -3 lbs round steaks, fat removed from edges, cut in 6 -8 pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons mccormick all seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour or 1 1⁄2 cups rice flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons bacon drippings or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 8 slices cooked bacon, cut slice in 3 pieces
- 16 slices deli turkey, cut thin or 16 slices roasted deli chicken
- 16 slices deli ham, cut thin
- 8 slices thin provolone cheese or 8 slices thin swiss cheese
- 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar or 4 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 8 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cancampbell beef consomme soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Pound each steak portion with meat mallet or a plate.
- Note: I use a meat tenderizer utensil with knifes in it.
- Put flour and seasoning in a pie pan, mix.
- Beat eggs with water and pour into another pie pan.
- Dip each piece in beaten eggs, shake the drips back in the pan.
- Put each pounded piece in seasoned flour, pound in on both sides. Place on a plate.
- Do all pieces once, then if you want to dip a second time, do so. Do not stack the dipped pieces or the coating may come off.
- Dip floured steak pieces in egg mixture then, again in flour mixture.
- In medium mixing bowl, add mustard, sugar,mayonnaise, pickle relish.
- Mix and spread two tsps dressing on each steak. Use all the dressing between the steaks.
- Stack on top of each flour, egg dipped steak, the following: turkey or chicken, cheese, bacon and ham.
- Roll up and secure with toothpicks at an angle.
- Heat bacon drippings olive oil or margarine in large frying pan.
- Fry quickly on each side so it is browned.
- Place upright in a casserole dish.
- In frying pan, pour leftover flour and seasoning, beaten eggs, soup salt and water into the grease or oil. Whisk vigorously. Heat and pour over rolled up browned steaks.
- Preheat 375°F.
- Cover and bake 40 to 45 minutes. Serve with noodles or rice or potatoes.
- Note: You can add other vegetables to the gravy if you wish.