Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
I used to have to make this salad when I worked in a german deli, only it was origanally made with potatoes. My kids absolutly love this recipe. It never lasts more than 2 days.
- 3 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and cooled under cold water
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 medium garlic dill pickles, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise or 1 1⁄2 cups mayo base salad dressing, to taste
- pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (optional)
- Place cold cooked macaroni along with grated onion and pickle in a large mixing bowl.
- Add salt and pepper, mayo and enough pickle juice to moisten.
- Be carful with the juice, you don't want the dressing too runny.
- Add dill if you like and toss to coat.
- Cooking time included in prep.
I made for salad for our 4th of July party and we liked it very much. I took the onion and dill pickle and ran it through the food processor for a bit. Then added the mayo and seasonings. I also all some chopped eggs and bacon bits. We loved the dressing for this salad. I'm used to the sweet dressing and this was a nice change of pace. Thank you for sharing with us.
I just made this with the food processor and it was stupid easy to grate everything and make the dressing that way. Tastes awesome too!!
Lori this was so good! I added in some celery and used green onions in place of yellow, and reduced the dill by a couple of teaspoons it's even better today! thanks so much for this recipe!...Kitten:)