Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are the BEST dill pickles ever! You don't need to can/process these pickles, as they keep in your frig for up to 6 to 9 months. This is my most-requested recipe. Everybody LOVES them.
- 4 -5 quarts cucumbers (enough to fill an ice cream bucket)
- 2 -4 heads dill
- 2 -4 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- 7 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup salt (I use just a bit less than 1/2 c.)
- Bring brine solution of water, vinegar & salt to a boil, then turn off burner.
- In an ice cream bucket, layer dill head(s), garlic chunks, onion slices and cucumbers. Small cucumbers can be thrown in whole. Larger cucumbers should be quartered.
- Pour warm (not hot) brine over the cucumbers and place a plate on top to keep the cucumbers submerged. Cover bucker & put in frig. Pickles can be eaten after 5 day. Pickles will last in frig for 6 to 9 months.
- NOTE: Other ingredients (such as hot peppers) can be added to the ice cream bucket for a different flavor sensation.
I just made these yesterday so I can't review the taste quite yet but a very simple recipe and they look delicious!! Will post an update in a few weeks!!<br/><br/>Update - I couldn't wait to try them and glad I didn't! (I could only wait a few days!!) These pickles were crisp and fresh, and not too sour or salty. Only changes I made were adding more garlic, since I love it, and adding about a tbsp of peppercorns and a few shakes of red pepper flakes into the mix.