Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
An excellent spice rub for chicken - for those who like things with a kick. I have cooked this both on a rotissiere and in the oven - the rotissiere creates a crisper skin, much like you would get in the neighbourhood deli, but the oven roasted tastes just as good.
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- your favorite barbecue sauce (optional)
- Rinse chicken and place inside plastic freezer or ziplock bag.
- Mix up spices in a small bowl, pour over chicken.
- Seal bag and shake it to distribute spice evenly over chicken.
- Place chicken in fridge overnight.
- Either put chicken on spit in rotissiere and set for approximately 90 minutes, or put chicken on rack in roasting pan and cook in oven at 350 F for approximately 90 minutes, or until temperature registers 180 F on meat thermometer.
- Let sit on cutting board for about 10 minutes before carving.
- Carve into thin slices, and serve with warmed barbecue sauce on the side if desired.