Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef brisket
- 1⁄2 cup prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 cup whole mixed pickling spice
- 1 (27 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 1⁄4 lb swiss cheese, Grated
- Place brisket on aluminum foil.
- Spread each side of the brisket with prepared mustard and whole mixed pickling spices.
- Wrap foil tightly around brisket and place in 8 x 10 baking dish.
- Bake in slow oven (225 degrees F.) 3 1/2 hours or until done.
- Remove brisket from foil.
- Scrape off and discard pickling spices from brisket and trim any excess fat.
- Cut brisket into 4 to 6 equal portions and place in 8 x 10 baking dish.
- Rinse and drain sauerkraut and place on top of brisket.
- Sprinkle with grated swiss cheese.
- Place under the broiler until the cheese has browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with prepared mustard.
I made this recipe as part of a support group for adopted recipes. My family really enjoyed this but I did make a couple of changes. After baking the brisket and allowing it to cool, I trimmed the fat and sliced it in 1/4 slices. Placed it back in the foil lined pan, added the drained sauerkraut off to the side of the meat and rewrapped it with the foil. Placed it back in the oven for about 30 minutes. We then used toasted hoagie buns, slathered with 1000 Island dressing, and made sandwiches layered with the brisket slices, sauerkraut and grated Swiss cheese. OMG they were wonderful! Not quite a Rueben but very closely related! I'm so glad I tried this recipe and will be making this again.