Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Lightly spiced, Delhi-style potatoes. Serve as part of an Indian meal, as an accompaniment to Indian breads, or lightly mashed to fill chapatis before cooking. Adapted from a recipe by Charmaine Solomon.
- 1 lb potato, of equal size
- 2 onions, medium-size
- 1 tablespoon ghee or 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the potatoes in a pan, add enough water to just cover, bring to the boil and cook until tender.
- Drain potatoes, allow to cool, then peel and dice.
- Chop the onions finely.
- Heat the ghee or peanut oil in a medium-size skillet.
- Add the mustard seeds and saute until they pop.
- Add the onions, reduce heat and continue frying until they are soft and browned.
- Next add the turmeric and chili powder to the skillet, and stir.
- Finally, add the potatoes, sprinkle with salt and gently toss all the ingredients until mixed together.
- Can be served hot or cold.
Hi! This is my a regular at my home. But I do add curry leaves with the mustard seeds and then garnish with loads of coriander leaves(cilantro) and a tsp or two of lime juice (or according to taste). Try it and let me know.
Wow these were great ! The only change I made was using yellow mustard seed... could not find the black. Thanks for this keeper.