Recipe by Arwen Myers
A fabulous vegan brownie recipe that I found on vegweb.com. These are without a doubt the best brownies I've ever eaten, vegan or not!
Top Review by bethlane
These brownies have way too much flour and end up tasting like paste. There is no suitable egg substitute in the recipe so the texture is strange. It is dense, but not cake-like and definitely not brownie-like. Very disappointing.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water and 1/2 cup of the flour over low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches the consistency of a thin gluey paste. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Mix vegan sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa and oil. Then add the rest flour-water mixture. Mix well.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour, baking powder and the nuts or chocolate chips, if you choose to add those.
- Spread mixture into a greased 11 x 7 pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes, or until a knife can be inserted and come out clean.