2 hrs 30 mins
Anna P.'s Note:
A great meal to make for when special company is coming, great with spinach and polenta. A sumptuous restaurant delicacy that's simple to make at home. Enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs veal shanks, 1 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 (19 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1In a large pot, heat half the oil over medium heat.
- 2Add veal shanks (1/3 at a time) and brown evenly, turning occasionally.
- 3Add remaining oil as needed.
- 4Remove shanks and season with 1 teaspoon salt.
- 5Add onion, carrot and garlic to pan; cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes or until tender.
- 6Add tomatoes, wine and basil.
- 7Return shanks; bring to a boil.
- 8Reduce heat to low.
- 9Cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until veal is tender.
- 10Meanwhile combine gremolata ingredients; set aside.
- 11Remove shanks and skim fat.
- 12Cook liquid over high heat until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 13Spoon approx.
- 143/4 cup sauce over shanks; sprinkle with gremolata.
- 15Serve with remaining sauce.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delectable Osso Bucco
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.7
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 226.8 mg
- Sodium 458.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 59.1 g