Recipe by Anna P.
A great meal to make for when special company is coming, great with spinach and polenta. A sumptuous restaurant delicacy that's simple to make at home. Enjoy.
Top Review by BoxO'Wine
This was fantastic. Followed recipe exactly as written. The veal was fall apart tender and very tasty. Put the extra sauce over mashed potatoes. Pasta would also make an excellent side dish. As suggested I also made spinach sauteed with garlic and crushed red peppers with a hint of lemon juice. Excellent meal. Thanks for posting Anna.
- 4 lbs veal shanks, 1 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 (19 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat half the oil over medium heat.
- Add veal shanks (1/3 at a time) and brown evenly, turning occasionally.
- Add remaining oil as needed.
- Remove shanks and season with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Add onion, carrot and garlic to pan; cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomatoes, wine and basil.
- Return shanks; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until veal is tender.
- Meanwhile combine gremolata ingredients; set aside.
- Remove shanks and skim fat.
- Cook liquid over high heat until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon approx.
- 3/4 cup sauce over shanks; sprinkle with gremolata.
- Serve with remaining sauce.