Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is very similar to other broccoli salads I found on Zaar, but I couldn't find one just like it. This is from the Birmingham Museum of Art's cookbook, Culinary Masterpieces. (Birmingham, AL)
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 cup warm water
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces (you can decrease this amount to 4 cups)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Combine the raisins and warm water in a small bowl, and let stand 5 minutes; drain. Combine the raisins, broccoli, bacon, celery, and sunflower kernels in a large bowl; toss well.
- Combine mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, and curry powder in a small bowl; wisk together. Spoon dressing mixture over the broccolie mixture; toss gently. Serve immediately.
Made for the FF&F FYC Tag Game because I've rarely made a broccoli salad that I didn't love. This version ranks as 1 of my top 2 faves of the genre. I made 2 sml chgs --- I left out the sunflower seeds as DH is not a fan, but I think pine nuts would be an excellent sub for them. I also added some sml diced sweet red onion. Combining the salad & veggie parts of a meal is 1 of my favorite things to do for us & when we entertain. It keeps meals from getting too heavy plus it adds flavors & texture. Loved this recipe, breezermom. Thx for sharing it w/us.
I love this salad. I kept the curry and celery and it was just perfect for us. I did substitute low-fat mayonnaise and used Splenda instead of the sugar. Since we had turkey bacon, that's what went in and it was wonderful. This is making its way into my best of 2013 cookbook! Made for Photo Tag game.
I was with Boomette in leaving out the curry, although another time I might include it but cut back on the amount! Also liked Mikekey's use of cranberries, even though this time around I made the salad with the raisins! Definitely a winner here, & I'm including it in my Best of 2012 cookbook! D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S to a fault! Many thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Everyday Is a Holiday recipe tag]