This is from the Lord & Hamilton Seaside Inn at Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. I ran across it in "The American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook" while looking for regional specialties to try.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 2Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture forms fine crumbs.
- 3Stir in enough hot water to make a firm but manageable dough.
- 4In a 4-quart saucepan, heat the broth to boiling.
- 5Add the butter; let the butter melt and float to the top of the broth.
- 6On a floured board, roll out the dough to 1/16 inch thickness.
- 7Cut into 2 inch squares.
- 8Drop the dumplings one at a time into the boiling broth.
- 9Reheat the broth to boiling over high heat.
- 10Reduce the heat to medium and cook dumplings uncovered until tender, about 15 minutes.
- 11Spoon the dumplings into a serving dish with some of the cooking liquied and serve.
- 12Can be added to a variety of soups and broths.
Nutritional Facts for Delaware Slippery Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.0
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 1101.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 11.4 g