Prep 8 mins
Cook 25 mins
My daughter sent this to me after she made this. She told me all of her family just loved the cake.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) candel monte fruit cocktail in light syrup
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour with sugar, soda and salt.
- Beat eggs until thich and lemon colored.
- Add undrained fruit cocktail to egg mix.
- Stir in dry ingredients, mix thoroughly.
- Pour into greased and floured 9" square.
- Combine nuts and brown sugar.
- Sprinkle nuts/sugar over batter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tests.
Thank you SO much for posting this. I had this fairly often growing up - quick and easy and we almost always had ingredients on hand for it. Slightly warm from the oven with a dollop of fresh whipped cream on it or creamy vanilla ice cream and you have a wonderful homey yet impressive dessert. Not sure I recall ever having it cold - it never lasted that long!