Recipe by Normaone
This is a recipe for the Artichoke Soup served at The Lodge at Pebble Beach on the Monterey Peninsula..a spectacular and beautiful place. My son used to work there and gave me the recipe.
Top Review by Chris Hoekstra
I have tried several of the recipes for artichoke soup in the past several years and this by far is the best. Surprisingly the cinnamon is the best part about the resulting soup. You wouldn't believe how many rants and raves I get when serving this soup to family and friends.
- 6 large fresh whole artichokes
- 1 turnip, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 gallon chicken stock
- 2 cups white wine
- 1 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄2 quart cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large stock pot, and bring to a boil.
- Turn down flame and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until ingredients are soft.
- Remove artichokes and pick 48 of the outer leaves for garnish.
- Set leaves aside.
- Puree mixture in a cuisinart in batches.
- Return to stock pot, add cream and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Strain the soup through a fine strainer and return soup to a clean pot.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add Sherry and season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup garnished with the reserved artichoke leaves.
- If you wish to thicken the soup, do so with a butter, flour roux, or mix some cornstarch into sherry or water and add to the pot.
- Stirring until thickened.