Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe is based on how I cooked fried rice in my restaurant.
- 4 cups cooled cooked rice
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup diced onions or 1⁄4 cup green onion
- 1⁄2 cooked diced chicken or 1⁄2 any other cooked left over meat
- 2 eggs (beaten with a pinch of salt)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon msg (optional)
- soya sauce, to taste and colour
- Fry the egg, like a pancake.
- When cooled, dice; set aside.
- Heat up the wok with the vegetable oil.
- When a light haze forms over the oil, sprinkle the salt over the entire wok surface.
- Carefully add the onions and diced meat.
- Stir-fry for a minute.
- If using green onions, leave them out in this step.
- Add the cooled rice, mixing well, turning the rice over continually until all is heated through.
- Sprinkle soya sauce over the rice--mixing until the rice is all the same desired colour.
- Not too much soya as it is salty, and you don't want it black!
- Toss in cut up pre-cooked egg.
- Top with green onions.
- Options: Add mushrooms, peas, blanched diced carrots in step #2.
- For authentic Chinese version, using raw eggs, After frying the onions, meat, etc in step #2, break 2 raw eggs into the mixture, stir-frying until eggs are broken up and cooked.
- Then proceed to step #3.
- Add 2 tbsp curry powder in step #2 to spice it up!
- If using fresh uncooked meat, cook the meat in the hot oil in step #2 before adding the onions.
- The amount of veg and meat given is just a guideline.
- Adjust according to your taste.
I halved this (cooking for one ya know)useing the raw egg version. Salting the wok like that was new to me but it makes sense. I also used soy paste rather than sauce to lower the overall salt content. NO MSG.
Well, we loved it. Used the raw egg method and used frozen peas.I did not use MSG. I also used kikkoman low sodium soy sauce I did cook my fried rice in a carbon steel wok, nothing beats the way a carbon steel wok cooks. Thanks!! simple but great dish.
I use this recipe everytime I make chinese food and it works great! I use the raw egg and frozen peas and have even used frozen snow peas. I found this out the hard way, make sure the cooked rice is COMPLETELY cooled off before frying, ( not being completely cooled resulted in sticky rice) the best way i found to cool it off fast is to spread it on a big cookie sheet or other shallow pan so that it is a thin layer. If I have room I stick it in the fridge and let it chill.