Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Adapted from the "Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook"
- 1 lb sliced bacon
- paper towels (added to pass editing)
- Cut the sliced bacon into strips that are 1 inch long and 1/4 inch wide.
- In a skillet, saute the bacon until crisp, then drain the pieces on paper towels.
- Line each drying tray with a solid "fruit leather" sheet (parchment paper can be substituted). Top it with a mesh sheet.
- Arrange the bacon pieces in one layer on the mesh sheet. Put the drying trays in the dehydrator. Twice during the drying process, remove the drying bacon and wipe it with paper towels to remove as much of the fat as possible. Return the bacon to the drying trays.
- Dry the bacon until it crumbles easily, about 6 to 8 hours, depending on the make of the dehydrator.
- One pound of bacon weighs 2 to 3 ounces dried.