Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 hrs
This recipe is adapted from recipes that came with my Nesco dehydrator and uses their "Fruit Roll Sheets". You could substitute parchment paper sprayed with a vegetable spray, like Pam. Cooking time includes dehydrator drying time.
- 15 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 4 large green peppers
- 3 large onions
- 3 large carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos
- Chop or grind all ingredients together, then blend in portions until smooth. Press through a strainer to remove any pulp.
- In a very large kettle (12 quart or larger) bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Boil gently, uncovered for about 5 hours. Stir often to prevent scorching.
- Mixture should be thick enough to mound on a spoon.
- Ladle onto 5 "Fruit Roll" sheets and dry at 140º until crisp, 8 to 10 hours. Powder in a blender.
- Add different amounts of water to your powder mixture to make:.
- Tomato Paste - 1 teaspoon powder and 1 teaspoon water.
- Tomato Sauce - 1 teaspoon powder and 3 teaspoons water.
- Tomato Soup - 1 teaspoon powder and 2 teaspoons cream.
- Tomato Juice - 1 teaspoon powder and 1/2 cup water or more.
- Adjust amount of water to taste for soup and juice.