Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my DD's recipe that she shared with me when she was living in Santa Fe. I am sure that every family in New Mexico has their own favorite version, but this is my favorite. It can also be cooked in a crockpot, but I like the texture of the stew, cooked on top of the stove.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cubed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup green chili (frozen; fresh roasted, peeled and chopped; or 1 cup canned...according to your personal heat prefere)
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 2 onions, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- water (if needed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Sprinkle the pork with flour to lightly coat.
- In a large pot (I use a Dutch oven), brown the meat in oil.
- Add chiles, chicken stock, vegetables, salt& pepper, and water if needed.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium low.
- Cover and simmer until meat and vegetables are done, and the stew is slightly thickened (about 3 hours).
- You may cook in a crockpot for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with flour tortillas.