Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is how I made the runza filling. You just stuff it into runza dough. Let rise until doubled after filled. Bake until brown. You can use my runza dough recipe.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese, cubes or 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese, grated or 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic powder.
- Add the caraway seed and cabbage.
- Sweat this mixture down; pour off any grease.
- Roll out runza dough; cut into 8 squares.
- Add filling to each square.
- Add the cheese that you like .
- Stretch the dough around the mixture.
- Let rise until doubled.
- Bake until dough is done.
I was so inspired by Fitness Guru's review that I followed her cue. I, also, used Wholesome Homemade Honey Whole Wheat Bread and used Velveeta. Let me sum it up by saying, if you come to my house and I offered you Dees's Runza and you leave hungry, it's your own fault.
This was really good. I also used http://www.recipezaar.com/32607 , trying to make the dish healthier. It was DELICIOUS. I ended up tripling the runza filling and had more than enough filling to fill the equivalent of 4 loaves of bread. I cut back a little bit on the Velveeta, but next time would add all of it, maybe even more, because my boys loved it. Delicious recipe!