Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Pork taco meat made in the oven with everyday ingredients. Source: allrecipes.com. Can also be cooked in the crockpot on High for 5 hours, shredded, then put back in crockpot to heat back up. Can substitute taco seasoning for chili powder if you would prefer.
- 4 lbs pork shoulder
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies, drained
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Place the roast on top of a large piece of aluminum foil. In a small bowl, stir together the green chiles, chili powder, oregano, taco seasoning and garlic. Rub onto the roast. Wrap foil around the roast so that it is completely covered, using additional aluminum foil if necessary. Place on top of a roasting rack in a baking dish, or place a cookie sheet on an oven rack below to catch any leaks.
- Roast the meat for 3 1/2 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until falling apart. Remove from the oven, and shred into small pieces using two forks. Season with salt to taste.