Recipe by Dienia B.
I've been cooking this a long time. I don't know where the recipe came from, but it's good with big fluffy dumplings. It's really easy to make and extends the chicken.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
This did make a tasty dinner but I had to make a few adjustments. In step 1, dienia doesn't state how long to boil the chicken for. After reading step 2, I decided to do away with step 1 as I thought 2 hours of boiling time was plenty for the chicken to cook, and it was falling off the bone way before the 2 hour cooking time (our chickens are more tender in Greece?). I would not add the carrots and celery until the last 1/2 hour of boiling as they turn into mush if boiled for the full 2 hours, and they cook even further if you consider the time you have to wait for the chicken to cool enough for you to be able to debone it (even off the heat). I would have liked some kind of flavouring in the dumplings as I found them to be rather plain - an herb or some chopped chives?
- 1 (4 lb) chicken
- 8 cups water
- 2 chopped carrots
- 2 stalks chopped celery
- 1 chopped green onion
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon chives (optional) or 1 tablespoon parsley (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil chicken with water covering chicken in soup pot with tight lid.
- Add carrots and celery and bullion cook until chicken is falling off bone, about 2 hours; take chicken out and debone.
- Chop chicken in bite size pieces.
- Add back to soup pot with onion, peas, salt and pepper.
- Add 2 more cups water.
- Bring back to boiling.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, milk, salt and oil and drop by teaspoon in boiling chicken stock. You can add 1 tablespoon parsley or finely chopped chives if you want.
- Cover pot with lid and cook about 20 minutes on a low simmer so it doesn't burn.
- Don't lift lid in the 20 minutes that dumplings are cooking cause the steam cooks the dumplings.