Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I have hesitated to post this recipe because there are so many zucchini cake/bread recipes already posted here. However, since I have retired from "semi-commercial" baking, I thought I would start posting some of "those secret" recipes. This recipe won 2 blue ribbons for me at the tri-county Altamont Fair in 1987.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups well packed prepared zucchini (does not have to be peeled, about 2-4 large zucchini)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups chopped pecans (your choice) or 1 1⁄2-2 cups walnuts (your choice)
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- Slice, seed and coarsely grate 2 to 4 large zucchini.
- Place about a handful or two of the grated zucchini into cheesecloth, or a clean cotton dish towel (do not use a terry cloth dish towel), and squeeze it until very dry; repeat with the remaining grated zucchini.
- Measure out 2 well packed cups of the prepared zucchini for the recipe.
- Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan (or two 8x4-inch loaf pans).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light.
- Gradually add sugar, and continue beating until thick and lemon colored.
- Continue beating egg/sugar mixture, while adding the oil in a thin stream, beat until all is well blended.
- By hand, stir in vanilla, zucchini, nuts and raisins.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients, and stir until well mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- Bake at 350°F for 60 to 75 minutes or until a cake tester (or wooden toothpick) inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place pan(s) on wire rack to cool.
- Let cool in the pan(s) for about 5 minutes, remove cake from pan(s) and return the cake to the wire rack to continue cooling.
- Cake should be completely cooled before slicing.
Awesome flavor, but a little too sweet, and didn't raise well. I may drop the sugar by 1/2 cup, and add 1/4 cup more flour. Love the flavor!! Very moist. I did sqeeze moisture out of zucchini, but seemed too wet.