Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I cook mine a little bit different with bacon grease and onions, and then steam that puppy a while until it is tender and makes its own gravy.
- 10 slices bacon
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 lb liver, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon season salt
- 1 cup water
- Cook bacon; remove bacon and set aside.
- Put sliced onion in the same frying pan and fry a little.
- Mix the flour and season salt together. Dredge liver in the flour mixture.
- Move onion over to the side.
- Add floured liver to the fry pan. Fry until brown on one side.
- Flip liver over and place onion on top.
- Brown on other side.
- Add 1 cup water; cover and simmer on low heat until gravy forms, about 20 minutes.
I don't like liver, but all my liver eating guest raved about it. I sprinkled some of the bacon over the top before simmering. The juice in the pan never thicken into anything resembling gravy so I removed the liver and onions added flour to the drippings to thicken.
This is a great method for cooking liver and the taste is really good. However, the next time I make it, I will brown the liver on both sides, remove from the pan and make the gravy before replacing liver in it to simmer for the remaining time. The onions were so soft and tasty. I crumbled the crispy bacon and sprinkled it on top of the liver and onions before serving. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe...I will definitely use it many more times.
This is exactly what I was looking for. The liquid thickened up just right and the liver came out nice and tender and oh so tasty. I soaked the liver in milk for a couple of hours before cooking, but otherwise followed the recipe. Delicious! Thank you!