Recipe by Back40BBQ
When a buck is killed, the dish served that night should be scrapple
Top Review by patiopls
This a super recipe. Be sure to soak the liver and heart in salt water--overnight preferred. Also, instead of chopping the meat, run it thru a meat grinder. There will be some juice,but it will cook out. Yumm, great on a camp fire with scrambled eggs.
- 4 cups beef bouillon
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs finely chopped deer liver
- 1⁄2 lb finely chopped deer heart
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth to a rapid boil and slowly add cornmeal. Stir constantly until mixture returns to a full boil. Add salt, reduce heat. Cover and cook slowly for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Fry chopped deer liver, heart, and onions in butter, stirring frequently, until meat is an even color (5 to 7 minutes). Stir into cornmeal, pour mixture into a shallow baking pan and chill until it becomes firm.
- Slice scrapple into 1/4-inch slices, roll in flour, and fry in butter until both sides are golden brown. Serves 4.