Recipe by ColSanders
This recipe evolved over several years of cooking breakfast for hungry deer hunters. Its a real filling meal with ham, eggs, potatoes, and cheese. It makes plenty, so use the biggest fry pan that you have.
- 1 lb ham, diced (1/2 inch)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (32 ounce) bag frozen hash brown potatoes (diced, not shredded)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (divided)
- 12 large eggs
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- pepper (fresh ground is best)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a meduim fry pan, heat 1 T butter over medium heat and add ham. Season with a little salt and pepper. Saute until ham is lightly browned. Turn down heat and keep warm for later.
- In a large fry pan, heat remaining 3T of butter over high heat. Add diced onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add potatoes and continue to saute until potatoes are browned and cooked, turning often. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the ham to the potatoes and turn to combine.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and quickly beat with a fork to break up the yolks, add the eggs to the potatoes and ham. Cook, stir, and turn until eggs are set.
- Add the cheese to the potatoes, ham and eggs, stir and turn to combine. Cover pan for a minute or two. You are ready to serve when the cheese is melted.