Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The original recipe is from Deep South Dish.com. I use a 9x13 casserole dish and add about 2 cups diced ham, a whole pound of smoked sausage (chopped) and a whole cup of cheese (separated).
- 283.49 g can cream of mushroom soup or 283.49 g can chicken soup
- 236.59 ml milk
- 7.39 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml of chopped vidalia onions or 118.29 ml other sweet onion
- 59.14 ml of chopped green bell pepper
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 4.92 ml of minced garlic
- 226.79 g smoked sausage, chopped (optional)
- 14.79 ml fresh basil
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 1.23-2.46 ml cajun seasoning
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 118.29 ml shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 453.59 g frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray a 9 x 9 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray; set aside. Whisk together the cream soup and milk until well blended; set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and saute the onion and bell pepper until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the ground beef and brown; drain if needed and return to the skillet. Add the minced garlic, cook and stir another minute. Add in the chopped smoked sausage and cook about 3 minutes. Stir in the basil, thyme, Cajun seasoning; taste and add salt and pepper only as needed. Transfer meat mixture to the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the cheddar cheese. Evenly pour the soup mixture over the top. Arrange the tater tots on top and bake uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until potatoes are nicely browned and crisp. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of shredded cheese on top and return to the oven just until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with a green vegetable or a mixed garden salad.