Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This wonderful beef stew recipe will make your house smell wonderful! Serve with some crusty bread, there won't be a drop left on the plates!
- 453.59 g stew meat, cubed
- 59.14 ml flour
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 0.25 ml garlic powder
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 2 stalk celery, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 473.18 ml mushrooms, sliced
- 25 g beef gravy mix (I use 1 package of Clubhouse Brown Gravy mix)
- 236.59 ml water
- 340.19 g Guinness stout (or another dark brew)
- 44.37 ml tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 g envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 0.25 ml dried thyme
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml creole seasoning
- 0.25 ml oregano
- 0.25 ml basil
- 118.29 ml frozen peas, if desired
- 236.59 ml water
- 680.38 g potatoes (I use Parisienne potatoes, small pre-peeled)
- 170 g baby carrots (1/2 small bag)
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over high heat.
- mix flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a bag. Shake beef to cover. Set aside leftover flour mix.
- Saute beef until very brown on all sides.
- Add garlic, onion, celery and mushrooms. Saute about 5 minutes.
- Add beef gravy mix, Guinness, water, tomato paste, and seasonings.
- Stir to combine. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Shake the leftover flour with 1 cup of water in a jar, add to simmering stew.
- Add the poratoes, carrots and peas (if desired) and simmer 1 hour longer or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Salt and pepper to taste. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before serving.).