Recipe by mondisaqt
This is a lovely appetizer or after dinner treat. I almost fell over they were so good. I had been wanting to try it for a while and i wasn't disapointed. This recipe comes from Chef Curtis Stone, one of my favortie chefs. One thing that i changed is that we just fried them in the fry daddy instead of a pan and they came out perfect. Its crunchy, its salty, its sweet its rich and ohhhh so good.
Top Review by rosslare
Great seasonal treat! Love these crispy little packages with oozing cheese filling! The amount for the flour in the recipe might have been off a bit, I used much less. Also, unfortunately I did not have black berries for the sauce, so improvised and used 4 tbs black berry jam and 2 tbs balsamico and just stirred them together. A very good substitute for the real thing. Enjoyed thoroughly by all!
- 946.38 ml blackberries
- 78.07 ml balsamic vinegar
- 28.39 ml superfine sugar
- 2011.01 ml vegetable oil, for frying
- 326.49 ml all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 158.51 ml ice water
- 184.27 g taleggio, cut evenly into 12 slices (I couldn't find any so we used Gouda instead)
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 12 squash blossoms
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and add blackberries, vinegar, and sugar. Cook for 15 minutes, and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl; reserve juices and discard pulp.
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan over medium-high heat until it reaches 325 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Meanwhile, place flour in a large mixing bowl and gradually pour in water, mixing constantly with your fingertips until combined; set batter aside.
- Wrap each slice of cheese with a basil leaf. Place each wrapped piece of cheese into a zucchini flower and twist top to enclose. Lightly dust each zucchini flower with flour and dredge in batter until fully coated.
- Working in batches, gently place zucchini flowers into heated oil and fry until lightly golden, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Season with salt and pepper. 6.
- Serve immediately drizzled with the reserved blackberry and balsamic reduction.