Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a lovely appetizer or after dinner treat. I almost fell over they were so good. I had been wanting to try it for a while and i wasn't disapointed. This recipe comes from Chef Curtis Stone, one of my favortie chefs. One thing that i changed is that we just fried them in the fry daddy instead of a pan and they came out perfect. Its crunchy, its salty, its sweet its rich and ohhhh so good.
- 946.38 ml blackberries
- 78.07 ml balsamic vinegar
- 28.39 ml superfine sugar
- 2011.01 ml vegetable oil, for frying
- 326.49 ml all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 158.51 ml ice water
- 184.27 g taleggio, cut evenly into 12 slices (I couldn't find any so we used Gouda instead)
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 12 squash blossoms
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and add blackberries, vinegar, and sugar. Cook for 15 minutes, and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl; reserve juices and discard pulp.
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan over medium-high heat until it reaches 325 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Meanwhile, place flour in a large mixing bowl and gradually pour in water, mixing constantly with your fingertips until combined; set batter aside.
- Wrap each slice of cheese with a basil leaf. Place each wrapped piece of cheese into a zucchini flower and twist top to enclose. Lightly dust each zucchini flower with flour and dredge in batter until fully coated.
- Working in batches, gently place zucchini flowers into heated oil and fry until lightly golden, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Season with salt and pepper. 6.
- Serve immediately drizzled with the reserved blackberry and balsamic reduction.