1/9 Photos of Deep Fried Taro/Yam Puffs
I found this on line as requested for Chef Howie.These are served when having Dim Sum! FRIED YAM PUFFS - EPOK-EPOK KELADI Deep Fried Woo Kok taro = taro root = dasheen = coco = cocoyam = eddo = Japanese potato = baddo = elephant's ear = old cocoyam = sato-imo Pronunciation: TAHR-oh sweet potato, yam . I did a mixture of yam and taro root. Taro has a brownish hairy skin with a white flesh with purple specks while yam has a brownish skin and white crisp flesh.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs taro and yams
- 4 tablespoons wheat starch (Tang Mein flour)
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 ounces chicken meat or 6 ounces pork, diced
- 4 ounces prawns, diced
- 3 dried mushrooms, soaked & diced
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1Wash taro and yam skin then pat dry, peel off skin, use towel to wipe any slime -- to prevent this do not wash after peeling) -yam to steam and mashed. Mix and stir wheat starch and water till you have a texture like thick glue, so control the hot water as you go along. Mix in shortening, sugar, salt, five spice, sesame oil and pepper. Divide into 24 balls and flatten set aside.
- 2For the filling, heat up 2 Tb oil and saute scallion and garlic till fragrant. Add diced meat, prawns, and mushrooms and stir fry 2 minutes. Add green peas and seasoning (the last of the ingredients except for the oil). Cook till thick and almost dry.
- 3Dish and leave to cool. Distribute evenly among the flattened pastry. Enclose the the filling and shape into puffs.
- 4Heat up oil and deep fry puffs on the ladle to prevent sticking to the bottom of wok and cause tearing to the tender puffs.
- 5Fry till golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep Fried Taro/Yam Puffs
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 971.5
- Calories from Fat 887
- Total Fat 98.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 21.8 mg
- Sodium 358.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: