Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Although you could slice these by hand a mandoline is recommended for this, it is a lot easier as the sweet potatoes have to be sliced paper thin. I have made these using Gorgonzola cheese also, and sprinkled them with seasoning salt, you can really use any kind of cheese that you desire. Of course you can use more than 5 sweet potatoes. These are really good.
Top Review by Shelby Jo
These were very tasty! So simple to make too. I used my mondolin slicer, but i don't htink I got them quite thin enough...it wasn't quite paper thin. The mozzarella on top was just a nice little touch. I never would have thought of that! Thanks so much for posting, Kittencal! Made for Photo Tag.
- 5 lbs sweet potatoes or 5 lbs yams, peeled
- peanut oil (for deep frying, you can use vegetable oil in place of peanut oil)
- coarse salt
- black pepper (optional)
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (or use any cheese for this)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a mandoline slice the sweet potatoes into 1/16-inch thick slices, and pat them dry with paper towels.
- In a deep fryer heat enough oil to measure about 3 inches; heat oil to about 380 degrees (can be a little less).
- Fry the sweet potato slices in batches until they are golden brown.
- Transfer the chips to a paper towel to drain fat.
- Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt and black pepper if desired.
- Set oven to broil heat.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly on top of the fried sweet potatoes.
- Broil for about 4 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Place onto a serving dish.