Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Make your glazed spiral ham crunchy and bacony on the outside while moist and juicy on the inside. Only in TX would we deep fry meat that is already cooked!
- 7 lbs ham, spiral sliced and glazed
- 3 gallons peanut oil, about, as needed to properly fill pot
Directions See How It's Made
- In an outdoor turkey fryer kind of contraption heat several gallons of peanut oil to 375.
- You can use the oil left over from frying a cajun turkey- it is seasoned and hot already and just perfect.
- Lower the ham - unwrapped of course- into the hot oil.
- Do not do anything to the ham- just remove from package.
- As the ham fries it will 'seal' the outside with a type of crust like crispy bacon and seal all the juices inside.
- Fry about 7-9 minutes- longer will give you MORE crust, shorter will produce less crust. You may need to make this recipe a few times before you find the perfect 'doneness' for you.
- Carefully remove from oil and let drain and cool a little.
- Slice as you would any spiral cut ham.