Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
This recipe was first tried at a Chinese Restaurant in Vancouver but under a different name. I made some changes to the recipe to bring out the flavors. Very easy to prepare and cook.
- 20 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (leave tails on)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, peeled,cored and cut into small chunks
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, seeded and cut into small chunks
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into small chunks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups olive oil or 2 cups peanut oil (for deep frying)
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch or 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Prepare shrimp, then rinse in cold water; drain.
- Place shrimp in a bowl and sprinkle with additional black pepper and salt and let dry while preparing other ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, pinch of salt, pinch of black pepper, beaten egg and water and mix well to a smooth batter.
- Measure oil to a deep medium size saucepan or a frying pan and heat to medium-high heat.
- Dip shrimp into batter to coat well.
- Using tongs, hold shrimp by the tail and dip into hot oil for a couple of seconds so that the shrimp do not curl, then drop.
- Deep fry several shrimp at a time for about 2 minutes, turn over and cook for another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove shrimp onto paper toweling and set aside.
- Heat WOK to high heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil, then add prepared vegetables, stirring well and saute' for about 2 minutes until vegetables are just partially cooked.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together water, vinegar, sugar, ketchup, soy sauce and tapioca starch until mixture is smooth.
- Add mixture to WOK, stirring constantly to coat vegetables and cook until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute.
- Divide shrimp equally to individual serving plates and spoon vegetable mixture over shrimp.
- Serve immediately.