Great snack with gravy or other dipping sauce. Good small plate or breakfast item and easy to alter. Alternative Ingredients: spinach, parmesan, ricotta cheese
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 21. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, and gently fry the onion until golden. Add the rice and continue to fry for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- 32. Add the vegetable stock a little at a time, allowing the rice to absorb the stock before adding more (if you need extra, use warm water) and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper, add the Parmesan and the egg yolks (optional). Add spinach or other ingredients. Mix well then spread out the risotto on a tray and leave to cool.
- 43. Lightly beat the egg whites (you only want to break up the yolks) and spread the breadcrumbs on a plate. Once the risotto is cooled, place about 3 large tablespoons of rice (or more for bigger portions) in the centre of your hand (wet your hands in cold water so the rice doesn’t stick to them) and roll the rice into a ball about the size of a snooker ball. Press some Mozzarella in the centre and form the rice into a ball again. Dip in the egg whites and cover with breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining risotto and Mozzarella. Put the rice balls on a tray and leave in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- 54. While the rice balls are resting, prepare the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the garlic and chilli until golden. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- 65. Heat enough vegetable oil in a heavy-based saucepan to ensure that the rice balls can be completely submerged. Roll the rice balls in the breadcrumbs for a second time.
- 76. Deep-fry the balls for about 2 minutes or until golden (work in batches, if necessary), then transfer to kitchen paper to allow any excess oil to drain.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep-Fried Risotto Balls
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2138.1
- Calories from Fat 1657
- Total Fat 184.2 g
- Saturated Fat 31.4 g
- Cholesterol 141.3 mg
- Sodium 867.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 29.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: