Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
Inspired by a recent visit to a restaurant. I came home and tried to recreate. It's pretty darn close!! I hope you enjoy them too! **cook time is per batch in deep fryer**
- 1⁄2 cup sauerkraut
- 1 cup corned beef, finely chopped (I got mine from the deli and whirred it around in my food processor for a few seconds)
- 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese, finely grated
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- thousand island dressing, for dipping
- your favorite batter, for deep frying
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients well.
- Form into small balls, approximately 1" in size.
- Roll in flour, and then dip in your favorite batter.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
I served these for DH's "On a stick" cookoff at a friends house. I cooked the corned beef that morning and let it cool enough to chop and formed the balls before letting it rest in the fridge a bit. I used a basic batter and added some 1000 Island dressing to it for a little added flavor. I got 4th place out of about 15, so I was pleased with that outcome. 1st and 2nd place were from the owners of the house and they served theirs right out of the oven. Everyone asked for the recipe and asked me to bring them again. Thank you for sharing this wonderful appetizer.