Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From "The Chinese Village Cookbook." A practical guide to Cantonese country cooking by Rhoda Yee.
- 1 lb prawns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 4 cups oil
- Shell and devein prawns, leaving the tails on.
- Sprinkle with salt and mix well.
- Refrigerate for two hours.
- Mix flour, baking powder, cornstarch, eggs, oil and water to make a batter.
- Heat wok.
- Add 4 cups oil and heat.
- Holding the prawns by the tails, dip in batter, then drop into hot oil.
- Fry until golden, turning once.
- Serve hot.
- Do-ahead notes:
- Deep fry, cool and freeze.
- To cook frozen prawns from the freezer.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place frozen prawns in single layer on cookie sheet and heat for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Comments: Use cocktail sauce, chili sauce or sweet and sour sauce for dipping. One cup prepared biscuit mix may be substituted for the flour and baking powder.